The holidays offer many occasions for celebration, connections, traditions, time off from school and work, perhaps travel, and certainly fun. Here are some tips from our Occupational Therapy department to help your child.
The holiday season is a great time to work on functional living skills. Whether you are hosting a large gathering or having a smaller family meal together, setting the table can be a great way for your child to participate. Although it may seem simple, setting the table requires multiple skills. For example, executive functioning skills such as sorting, planning and working memory are needed to gather the appropriate materials. Gross motor, body and spatial awareness skills are needed to load and carry items from one place to another. Grading force to gently place items on the table is another important part of setting the table. Visual motor skills help to know where each item should be placed in relationship to one another. Understanding that it takes such a multitude of skills to complete this routine task is helpful. It is something that needs to be directly instructed and modeled so your child can be successful. If we can be of any help, please do not hesitate to email the OT department with any questions.
Our Newmark K-8 students are excited to be performing in our Annual Holiday Show. Your child is practicing for the show under the direction of each homeroom teacher and with the guidance of Mr. Sykes, our art and drama teacher.
On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 1:00 PM, your child’s homeroom will perform a holiday skit lasting about five minutes in length. The entire performance should last about 45 minutes. Family members are welcome to attend the performance. Please use the links to below to register the number of your family members who will attend:
The next NHS Teen Night Social will be on Friday, December 9, 2022. This after school activity is open to all High School students and the student social will run from 2:15-4:30 PM. Parents need to provide transportation home promptly at 4:30 PM.
There is a $20 fee - View Permission Form
All Newmark High School students are invited to participate in the 2022 Student Holiday Gift Exchange on Wednesday, December 21, 2022. Students have been briefed about the Gift Exchange at school. If your teen is interested in participating, please be sure to review the guidelines with your teen in advance. Note: Participation is optional.
Guidelines for the 2022 NHS Student Holiday Gift Exchange:
- Deadline: The deadline for students to participate is Friday, December 2, 2022. The Gift Exchange drawing will be held on that day so that students know whom they will be buying a gift for.
- Survey: This year, participating students will complete a brief survey to indicate their interests or hobbies to help students select appropriate gits.
- Gift Range: The spending limit is set between $15 and $25.
- Gift Ideas: While the survey results are confidential, students can ask Mr. Kraminitz, Mr. Withum or Ms. Hartman for gift ideas for their selected classmate based on the interest survey.
Newmark is pleased to offer Session II After School Clubs and Programs specifically designed to meet the age interests and needs of our students. Please note days off due to holiday breaks. Limited spots still available!
Session II starts the week of November 28, 2022 through January 26, 2023
K-8 School - View Club Offerings and Register
- Check out Minecraft Java and Pottery this session!
NHS - View Club Offerings and Register
- New! Robotics - Bright & Brainy on Mondays
- New! Computer Technology Club on Tuesdays
- New! Mock Trial on Thursdays