Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, Newmark will be providing remote instruction through the Microsoft Teams portal and work sent home by your child’s teacher last Friday. We will continue to follow the NJ Governor's mandate as to when we can reopen.
As you know, the CDC recently provided information concerning the coronavirus and how it has spread within the United States. We are monitoring the alerts from the CDC and continue to follow the current guidance posted by the New Jersey Department of Education and the New Jersey Department of Health. Please note, at this time we have no concerns about this virus at Newmark. Our School Nurse and Leadership Team have been monitoring attendance and illnesses. In addition, our facilities department has enhanced daily cleaning and sanitizing procedures in place to ensure the health and safety of our Newmark students and staff.
According to the CDC, the best protection against viral transmission is frequent handwashing.
Recommended Hygiene Practices - To minimize the spread of respiratory viruses, including influenza and coronavirus, the CDC recommends the following:
- Students who are ill with respiratory symptoms, flu-like illness, or diarrhea/vomiting should stay home for 24 hours fever free or without diarrhea/vomiting. Please report your child’s absence and such symptoms to our School Nurse and contact your child’s primary health care provider.
- Wash hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and warm water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
If your child or members of your immediate family have recently traveled to a part of the world (China, South Korea, northern Italy, Iran, etc.) that is currently experiencing higher rates of infection, please contact the Newmark School Nurse to discuss their status at 908-753-0330.
Thank you for your attention to these matters. Newmark will continue to operate as normal unless we receive new direction from the New Jersey Department of Education and the New Jersey Department of Health. As always, our counselors are available to support any child who feels anxious or worried about COVID-19. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Dr. Regina M. Peter